7.10.2012

The Write Stuff

Source


Once upon a time I used to write a lot. I would write reports for school. I would write little "books" for my friends. I would make up stories, journal daily, and even throw a poem in the mix every now and then. I even wrote a thesis once upon a time--a nice long piece of work that supposedly represented several years of schooling and study. It's published in a library. It even gets checked out from time to time (only by graduate students who are supposed to look at former stuff, but whatever...)

The writing didn't stop when I graduated (yes, I had to graduate several times before I was "done" being a student. Slow learner.) I was expected to write for my career. In fact, one semester I joined a faculty writing group where I wrote every. single. day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be anything of a profound or "great" writer. I don't plan on having a novel published, or being recognized for my prose. I inherited my mother's bad spelling, and I often neglect grammar on purpose. (So there, Ms. Chavez! Just kidding, you were my favorite English teacher.) But I love what writing offers: It offers an opportunity to do that one thing that separates us humans from the rest of the animal world--reflective self thought. Writing allows us to dip into our imagination, create something that wasn't there, and make sense of our own reality (sometimes through creating a completely new reality).

So with this in mind, I'm going to try and write more. Every day, in fact. (But I'm not going to feel guilty when I inevitably miss a day or get sidetracked completely. If there is one thing motherhood has taught me it's to be more forgiving of myself and others.) I can't guarantee anything witty, profound, or even entertaining. But then again I'm not forcing anyone to read this, so you get what you pay for. But I do hope that this little exercise will help me feel that creative gap and reconnect me to something that I've grown to love over the years.

Write on, right on.


No comments: