7.17.2012

I needed that....

This morning I taught a dance class. A friend has put together a twice-a-week dance class for advanced dancers in Utah county. A lovely woman has generously offered the use of her studio free of charge, which means twice I week I get to dance for free.

Did I mention that it's only ten minutes away from where I live?

Awesome.

Those involved will rotate--taking turns to teach a class. We will have both contemporary/modern and ballet classes. Today was our first class. It was great to teach and dance with people that I've grown to love over the past seven or so years. It was great to reconnect. To meet new people. And it was awesome not to worry about grading, taking attendance, or teacher evaluations.

But every more amazing was the reminder of how it feels to dance. I love the kinesthetic sensation of movement. I love connecting to spatial pulls, feeling bigger than my body, and learning the supportive powers when gravity is danced with in the right way.

I love momentum.
Carving out space.
Shaping my body.
Breathing with intent.
Shifting my weight.
Discovering nuance.
Feeling connected.

I love the community that comes from dance. I'm always amazed at the friendships that I have because of this beautiful thing I am able to do. I am looking forward to this bi-weekly outlet, and so grateful to Tom who is so supportive while I leave for a few hours to do something that really is just for me.




No comments: